Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Chowder2016-01-29
Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Chowder
- 8 slices center-cut bacon chopped half used for garnish
- 1⁄2 small onion chopped OR 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- salt & pepper
- 1 head Cauliflower cut into small florets
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 dashes hot sauce to taste
- 2 1⁄2 cups (12oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided half used for garnish
- 2 green onions chopped optional
- Whisk together flour and 1/4 cup chicken broth in a small bowl then set aside.
- Saute bacon in a large soup pot over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Add chopped onion, celery, and garlic to the pot then season with salt and pepper and saute until vegetables are tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and onion powder to the pot then stir to combine. Add chicken broth and turn up the heat to boil until cauliflower is tender, stirring a couple times, about 5-7 minutes. Add cream and lower heat and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Slowly whisk in flour/chicken broth mixture while stirring, then turn down heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until chowder has thickened. Turn off heat then stir in 2 cups cheddar cheese until smooth, then stir in half the cooked bacon. Taste and adjust salt, pepper, and/or hot sauce if necessary. Serve topped with remaining shredded cheese, cooked bacon, and green onions, if desired.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe