Creamy Carrot and Jalapeno Soup2012-11-10
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 6 celery stalks sliced
- 6 carrots peeled, sliced
- 5 Jalapeno chiles halved, seeds and membranes removed
- 6 large garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 8 cups chicken stock/broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar
- Finely chopped chives or green onions, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add celery, carrots, jalapenos and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots begin to soften, about 15 minutes.
- Add allspice and cinnamon and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables and rice are very tender, stirring frequently, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree in batches in blender until smooth. Return soup to heat. Add cream and bring to simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish each one with a liberal sprinkle of cheese and chives.
- Serves 6 to 8.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe