Lemon Poppyseed Broccoli Salad2016-04-06
Talk about a nutrient punch! This recipe has it all. A great side dish for the summer.
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 15 min
- 2 heads fresh broccoli (~4 and 1/2 – 5 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup toasted and salted sunflower seeds
- 1 small package (8 ounces) sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup full-fat mayo
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2-4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large lemon
- 1⁄2 tablespoon poppyseeds
- Remove the stems from the broccoli and cut into very small pieces. Fill up a bowl with very cold water and a few cupfuls of ice.
- Bring a pot of water to boiling point. Add in a heaping tablespoon of salt.
- Pour the broccoli into the boiling water and count to 30. As soon as you get to 30 drain the broccoli and pour the broccoli into your prepared ice/water bath.
- Allow the broccoli to sit in the cold water until completely cooled. Then remove with a slotted spoon to a salad spinner or bowl.
- Make sure the broccoli is 100% dried before tossing it with anything else (especially the dressing).
- Add the cranberries, almonds (toast if desired), sunflower seeds, and sharp cheddar cheese (that has been cut into very small cubes) to the bowl with the broccoli.
- In a bowl, whisk together the mayo, red wine vinegar, sugar, zest of one lemon, and about 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Add some salt and pepper, taste, and add more sugar (1-2 more tablespoons) or lemon to personal preference (not too much lemon or the dressing becomes too watery)
- Whisk in the poppyseeds.
- Toss the dressing with the salad and place in the fridge to marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- Toss again and enjoy!
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe