Monte Cristo Salad2015-05-23
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large shallots sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar such as Bragg
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 8-10 cups romaine lettuce, rinsed and torn into bite size pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound smoked turkey cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2 pound Black Forest ham cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2 pound sliced Emmentaler Swiss cut into 1/2-inch strips
- few scallions whites and green tops thinly sliced on the diagonal, and bread-and-butter pickles, for garnish
- In a small saucepan, add 2 cups water and a tablespoon of salt. Heat over medium heat until just starting to boil. Add the eggs using a spoon to place in the water. Let cook for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat but leave the pan on the burner and cover with a lid. Let stand for at least 20 minutes or until you are ready to peel the eggs. This method results in the easiest peeling for hard boiled eggs.
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and let them slowly fry until they become crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the vinegar, maple syrup and Dijon mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the salad on plates starting with the lettuce and finishing with the eggs. Reserve the fried shallots to top the salad after drizzling the dressing.
- Dress each salad and top with the fried shallots.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe