Normandy Chicken Recipe2016-03-05
Course: Main Course
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Total Time: 50 min
- 1 whole chicken cut up, about 1.5-2 lbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme dried
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup shallot roughly chopped (about 2 large shallots)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 12 ounces white mushroom quartered
- 2 large granny smith apples peeled, cored, and cut into 8 slices each
- 1⁄2 cup calvados apple brandy
- 4 ounces crème fraîche
- black pepper to taste
- Cut each breast into two equal pieces. Season chicken with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large sauté pan that has a tight fitting lid over medium high heat. Place chicken in the pan, skin side down, cook 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Set aside browned chicken on a plate.
- Turn heat to low and add garlic and shallots, cook 2 minutes, stirring until softened. Add mushrooms and apple slices and cook 5 minutes, stirring to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken pieces back to pan and any juices from the plate. Turn heat to high and pour over the calvados. With a lid ready, pour the calvados over the chicken. Using a long match or lighter, set the calvados on fire. Let the fire burn for 30 seconds then smother with the lid. Turn heat to low and cook covered for 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the crème fraîche. Serve chicken with sauce poured over.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe