Pumpkin Soup with Chili Cran-Apple Relish2015-01-17
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 ribs celery with greens finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning or 2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce or to taste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 can cooked pumpkin puree (28 ounces) Don’t use pumpkin pie filling. I used Libby’s Pure Pumpkin.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- For the relish:
- 1 crisp apple such as McIntosh or Granny Smith, finely chopped
- 2 scallion onions finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat a medium size soup pot over medium to medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and melt the butter. Add the bay leaf, celery and yellow onion. Season the veggies with salt and pepper. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until tender. Add the poultry seasoning and hot sauce, to taste, then cook for a minute. Whisk in the chicken stock and bring the liquid to a bubble. Whisk in the pumpkin in large spoonfuls to incorporate it into the broth. Simmer the soup for 10 minutes to thicken a bit, then add in the cream and nutmeg. Reduce the heat to low and keep warm until ready to serve.
- While the soup cooks, assemble the relish: combine the apple, onions, lemon juice, cranberries, chili powder and cinnamon.
- Adjust the seasonings in the soup and relish, to taste, and serve the soup in shallow bowls with a few spoonfuls of relish.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe