Sausage, Peppers, and Mushrooms Low-Carb Cheesy Bake2016-02-10
Simple and hearty. Perfect supper for a cold day.
- 2 T olive oil divided (or less depending on your pan)
- 16 oz. brown Cremini mushrooms washed and cut in thick slices
- 5 links (19.5 oz) hot or mild turkey Italian sausage, (I used Jenni-O Hot Italian Turkey Sausage which is low in fat and g
- 2 red bell peppers cut into thick strips
- 2 green bell peppers cut into thick strips
- 1⁄2 tsp. Italian herb blend
- 1⁄2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (or use any all-purpose seasoning blend if you don’t have Spike.)
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated Mozzarella (more or less as desired)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray or olive oil. Wash mushrooms and cut into thick slices. Trim away stem and seeds of peppers and cut into thick strips.
- Heat about 2 tsp. olive oil in a large non-stick pan and start to saute the sausage over medium-high heat, turning occasionally to brown on all sides. (If you’re using pre-cooked sausage you can skip this step and just cut sausage before you brown it.) While sausage cooks, heat about 2 tsp. olive oil in a separate pan and saute mushrooms over medium-high heat until they release their liquid, liquid is evaporated, and mushrooms are lightly browned. Transfer mushrooms to the bottom of the baking dish.
- Heat about 2 tsp. more olive oil in the same pan you cooked the mushrooms in and saute peppers over medium high heat just until they’re starting to soften, about 4 minutes. (They will cook more in the oven, so don’t overcook if you prefer them slightly crisp in the finished dish.) Layer the peppers over the mushrooms in the baking dish.
- When the sausage is lightly browned on all sides, remove to a cutting board and let cool enough to slice. Then cut sausage in half lengthwise, cut into thick half-slices, reheat the pan, and brown the sausage again on the cut sides. Layer the browned sausage over the mushrooms and peppers and sprinkle with desired amount of grated mozzarella.
- Bake about 25 minutes, or until all ingredients are sizzling hot and the cheese is melted and nicely browned. Serve hot. Leftovers of this can be kept in the fridge for a day or two and reheated in a toaster oven or in the microwave.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe